Sunday, August 07, 2005
Dead Emus: 0
Yes, that's right- no emus were harmed during today's festivities. I took a full day tour north in western Australia to get a better sense out this country. We drove in a converted truck (see pic below) and I was lucky enough to get the front seat as the only solo traveller! Not only did I have repreive from the jabbering Japanese tour guide (they feel the need to comment through the entire drive, no matter how long or boring) but I had great 160 degree views through the windshield. And the driver/tourguide was my personal emu and kangaroo spotter. He informed me that he has run into over 20 kangaroos and 2 emu in his travels, so I was very happy to get through the day without killing any Australian wildlife (talk about traumatic!) The main stop on our tour was the national park containing the limestone "Pinnacles" (as seen below). More spectacular than they look, there are hundreds of hundreds of spear-like columns everywhere you look, dotting the yellow sand. Very nifty.And I saw a bobtail skink.
Read or Post a Comment
<< Home