Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Not such a good day.

Yikes. Do you ever have one of those days when you just dislike people in general? I had a rather rough first day in Singapore. After arriving at 5am, I decided to curl up on my luggage and grab another of hour of sleep or so at the airport. I soon realized that a group of 8 loud Chinese people had decided to sit in the seats right next to me, wiggle the chairs and talk. I decided to make a statement: I removed my eyemask, gave a sleepy glare and moved to one of the many rows of empty chairs elsewhere in the terminal. Then I came to check into my hostel. It's actually a very nice hostel (except lacking airconditioning during the day) but I had to spend almost 5 hours of my precious 3 days in Singapore waiting to check in. And I had some simple printing and faxing to do, but the receptionist took her sweet time. In fact, four other travellers came up after me with different requests and she proceeded to help them first: while I was sitting waiting for the fax to go through. Again, I decided to make a passive statement, I walked up and interrupted her helping the other guy with a map and said "So, umm, did that fax go through yet?" Eventually I did get out to explore Singapore, but I almost wish I hadn't! Today is Singapore's National Day and, although I am very happy for their 40th birthday, I am not very happy with the throngs of people. At home on Canada Day it seems some people go to the cottage, some do a BBQ at home, some see fireworks, etc. We spread out. Here it seemed like thousands of people were all streaming to the same point: a personal-space-freak's worst nightmare. I debated just giving up on it, but thought I should join in the festivities since I'm here. But, you guessed it, I got down to the waterfront, surrounded my hundreds of people and dripping in sweat and turned right back around. In my brain I was screaming "GET ME OUT OF HERE!" Don't think less of me, but instead of partaking in a cultural parade this evening, I will be attending a movie at the theatre: airconditioned, spacious and comfy. Singapore is a nice city, though: I have high hopes for the next two days. I already miss Perth and in the back of my head there's a little idea... Little ideas, crazy ideas pop up in my head from time to time. Sometimes I follow them and end up in amazing places. So we'll see if I ever end up back in Perth: I can always dream.

Posted by Kathleen @ 6:00 PM

Read or Post a Comment

That's a great idea - you move to Perth, I'll adventure over to Vancouver, and we can both ditch Taiwan guilt-free. Whatdya say?!

P.S. Like the blog template? I thought it looked sorta Australian. And I didn't have time to keep searching for a perfect one.

Posted by Blogger Carole @ 1:01 AM #
 

Once again ... this anti -Taiwan craze has me a little worried ...Should I just stay on cruise ships?

Posted by Blogger Jill @ 10:28 AM #
 
<< Home