Monday, August 08, 2005

So long to Perth

Yes, it is time for me to leave Australia. I can't believe how these days have flown, but it was wonderful. Maybe someday I'll be able to come back and travel around Australia without time constraints. I had some grand plans for today, but was starting to feel like I was spending a lot of money. And I figured instead of spending my time inside some aquarium, I should enjoy the best parts of Perth: the weather and the shopping! I spent my morning in King's Park; a massive green area on a bluff overlooking Perth. They have a bontanical garden, tree-top walk, lakes, fountains, birds, etc. I don't know how long it's been since I've sat lazily in a park, usually I'm too busy or it's too hot (and full of bugs). So I wandered a bit then found a bench in the shade, then wandered some more and found another bench. I stopped to get some coffee and just sat. How indulgent. Like I said, I did more shopping (just for things I can't buy at "home": which is actually a lot!) Just in case any of you were hoping for great Australia souvenirs, don't get your hopes up. In all the countries I've visited, I've never encountered such a pathetic selection of souvenirs. Every store had exactly the same stuffed kangaroos, gazillion koala types, Aussie hats and kitch key chains. I ended my day at wharf, sitting on a back deck with a yummy burger. The sun was starting to set over the Swan river and it was so peaceful. Well, I'm out of internet time, bye!

Posted by Kathleen @ 6:06 PM