Saturday, August 13, 2005

The Sultanate of Brunei Darussalem

Well, this is a strange place. I'm sitting in the weirdest mall I've ever been to. It's huge and incredibly spacious (the hallways and open areas are totally empty) with lots of little and big copy-cat shops. It's the kind of thing that, if it opened up in Canada would go under within a month: because no one is shopping and there's not much to buy. But, hey, this is Brunei. And the best part is that I don't have to feel shopper's guilt. Quite often when you walk into an empty store with an eager sales person, you feel a certain need to buy something, anything to help this poor person. But here, I have the calming knowledge that all of these people live in one of the richest countries in the world, all of their health care, education and housing is subsidized and they have guarenteed pensions. So, whether I buy or not, the sales lady is going to be A-Okay. I decided to go for a tour, which in a way is taking the easy way out, but I don't mind. There was even someone with a "Ms. Kathleen Nickle" card waiting for me at the airport! I have a couple of hours to shop/ wait here before the tour picks me up this afternoon. We'll hit all the main sights with English commentary then they take me back to the airport. Stress free, if you ask me. My only worry today was what to wear. I think I mentioned it's an Islamic state, in fact, on the flight we had a full Islamic blessing complete with English translation and cloud pictures flowing on the monitors. It wasn't just basic either, it asked for good views, safe possessions and shorter flying time. Wow. Co-incidentally (?), the safety lecture was very short and they didn't seem to worry about exit-row procedures like usual. Who cares if I know how to open the exit row door! Well, it was only a 20 minute flight, too. Oh, so back to what to wear. The tour books said dress "modestly" and that head, arms and knees needed to be covered to enter the mosque. Most women here are in full covering, but there are plenty in regular clothes and I feel comfortable in a blouse and capris (with a head scarf in my purse!) Anyway, I need to grab some lunch before the tour. And I think I'll have a Blizzard at Dairy Queen for dessert (ah, the wonders of Western globalization- though my tour guide pointed McDonalds out with pride...the only one in Brunei!)

Posted by Kathleen @ 11:59 AM