Monday, August 15, 2005

This is the life for me!

Yes, I love resort life. I may be enjoying this even more knowing how darn cheap it was! For about the same price as Mom and Dad spend for a beside-the-highway dump in Canada or the US, I am living it up at a 5 star Borneo resort. In fact, when they were filming "Survivor: Vanuatu" supposedly the cast and crew stayed here, and my cab driver assured me that when the Malaysian president visits he always asks to stay at the Sutera Harbour Magellan resort. I got up to my room and did a little happy dance. Not only do I have a fabulous balcony and view of the sea, but it's a huge room with an elegant bathroom (with a big tub and a fancy shower). Then the guy brought my luggage to the room and I had no idea what to tip him. I remembered advice I read in a travel book once, "Tip well at first and you'll get great treatment the whole time." I hope I got it right. So I'm enjoying a lifestyle that most people would envy; if it makes you feel any better, I wish you were all here too! I celebrated with a sunset meal of the best ravioli I've ever tasted and a tiny sliver of orange chocolate mousse (which was so rich it was actually enough!) And now I'm sitting in the swanky "Business Centre" using the internet and trying to look business-like. Ha. I really don't have much planned for the next couple of days: just relax, relax, relax. Before I checked in here I went to the mall and finished my "Souvenir Checklist." I'm not sure if other people have such things, but for me, in every country I visit, I have several things I like to buy. Sometimes I forget (Switzerland) or can't find what I was looking for, but I always regret it if I don't buy these four things. Ready? A sterling silver charm, a Christmas tree ordament (Mom got me started on that one, and I have to say someday I will have the coolest ethnic Christmas tree ever), a postcard or two (because you can never take quite as good pictures as they do) and a display piece (such as a carving, painting, rug, do-dad, etc.) Thankfully none of these things are very expensive, and usually they don't take much room either. Of course, as Mom would tell you, either she or I have to store them all until the great "Someday" when I finally get a settled apartment to display them all. Here's to someday!

Posted by Kathleen @ 7:21 PM

Read or Post a Comment

I was envious when I read your post ... then I went and spent the afternoon on a beautiful beach with pink sand, a nearly cloudless sky, and 30 degrees Celcius. Without a care on my mind, I was thankful for what I had, and the lifestyle I can enjoy for another 2 1/2 weeks. My work today (beginning at 8:30 pm) consists of having dinner in the main dining room with a few teenagers, playing cards with teens, and watching a movie with teens. I love my job. What could be better?

Posted by Blogger Jill @ 6:22 AM #
 
<< Home