Thursday, August 11, 2005

Yes, I'm still here!


Well, I feel bad for not posting these last few days. I really have no excuse with free internet access, do I? Singapore is very hot. That has been my main impression so far. Not hotter than Taiwan, but still miserable. I've done some shopping, been to the movie theatre a couple of times, and anything else that's in airconditioning. Today was my first bright day. I went to an island called Sentosa that's very near Singapore. There were alot of sights to explore, fake beaches and shameless tourist traps. And for some reason I found myself hiking a "mountain" through natural rain forest. I had one of those "Why on earth am I doing this?" moments. The highlight came when I was trying to find the orchid garden. They were doing construction and nothing was well marked, so I was just wandering around. All of a sudden it started to pour rain and just then I saw the entrance. I ran through the orchids to a little gazebo overlooking a lake to sit out the storm. I was all alone in a huge park of orchids (well, there were a couple of peacocks too). And, best of all, after the rain, I had thousands of gorgeous orchids just waiting to have their pictures taken. I also found a nice place to sit looking over the water at the southern-most point of continental Asia (whop-te-do). I was sitting in a secluded grove at the end of the island, had just gotten out my MP3 player, ready to relax. And up walked this Chinese woman. She started talking and sat down. I think she got the hint that I didn't really want to talk, but she still just sat there. I had to keep reminding myself that just as much as I want to have time and space to myself, she wants to share it. It was just a reminder that I'm never free. It's late and that's all I can think of for now. Tomorrow I'll head to Kota Kinabalu in Malaysian Borneo. In some ways, it should be more difficult (much less developed) but I'm also starting the luxury portion of my trip when it comes to accomodation! Just give me air conditioning.

Posted by Kathleen @ 10:23 PM