Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Hard Day's Work

Yes, I spent Saturday at the office.

It was all in the interest of fairness: all the Taiwanese teachers had to be at school for meetings, so Dorcas thought we should come in and clean the office. I was thrilled with the new school building, and we have a great new office too. It's on the fifth floor with two big windows- one facing the courtyard and street and the other, oddly enough, overlooks the students hallway and stairs. We were thinking of putting up a sign in that window in anticipation of our grade 9 neighbors: "What are you staring at?"

Another change this semester is a new flatmate. Her name is Marika, she's about my age and seems very nice (Whew!) Although her family has been living in LA most recently, she grew up and studied in Halifax, NS. She seems like she'll be a great co-worker and flatmate. Don't even think about asking me for a picture- I'm still in mourning over my Canon. I don't know if I would wait in misery, or just go buy another one now.

I spent today trying to figure out how to find money. It's a long story, but right now, the only cash I can access is about $40 I have in an American account. I went out this morning with a Canadian card (that wasn't in my wallet) to get some breakfast and lunch at NY Bagels. I tried to pay and, you guessed it, the card wouldn't work. What was I to do? I was standing there with about $15 of food I had no way to pay for! Thankfully, NYBagels is one of my favorite resturants and a waitress recognized me and rushed over to help- "come back any time today and pay". This whole "being on a budget" will probably be good for me. Pay day on Wednesday!

Posted by Kathleen @ 5:39 PM