Saturday, February 18, 2006
A Rant on Authority
I was thinking I should explain a bit about authority in Taiwan. It's something radically different than what I was used to at home, and I must say it's hard to get used to. Most institutions, schools and governments in Taiwan seem to embrace absolute power- that is, the person at the top has the power (and the responsibility). This is clear when there is any sort of scandal or outrage in government. No matter who is really responsible or how far removed they are, the head minister is the one to resign. It's obvious that it wasn't their fault, they most likely had no idea it was happening! But it also works the other way, especially at our school. Our principal is really a nice lady overall and she gives a good front to the parents and school supporters. We can't get over how much power she has. It was clear at the Christmas show- teachers and administration had spent months getting things planned and ready, and she comes in to the dress rehearsal, points out all the things she doesn't like and tells everyone to fix it before the show! So, the most recent incident happened last night. To preface, our new office is finally looking like an office. My supervisor has spent pretty much a full week opening and sorting hundreds of boxes of books onto wall to wall cabinets. She has been so stressed out, but we couldn't help because it had to be organized a certain way. Our desks look nice too, we finally have everthing sorted into file folders, have our picture frames up and everything. So, last night the principal came in to criticize and demand change. First, she wants all the books out of the office and put into the library. If we (they only English teachers who use them) want one, we need to go to the library to check it out. And, absolutely nothing on our desks. No filing folders, no picture frames, nada. I had to laugh- is that even legal? To tell someone they can't put up a picture frame? We'll see how it all plays out, mostly I feel sorry for my supervisor. But going back to the whole authority thing, if someone told a teacher to do that at home, she would refuse. I mean, she'd probably be polite, but do you think she'd just take the criticism, nod and do it? No one questions authority and
no one ever says no to the principal.
Read or Post a Comment
<< Home