Thursday, March 09, 2006

One Point for ME!

Well, I did the thing I dread most in Taiwan... I visited my company's office. Invariably this includes encountering my "boss." I hate calling him my boss; in fact, it makes me want to shout "You're not the boss of me!" in my most childish voice. Most of the times I've confronted him, I've been way to emotional and felt unable to say what I wanted to. I usually leave and have a good cry on the MRT home. NOT TODAY!!!!! Today I left with a grin. Why?

Well, I did it. I told him how much I hate the unethical and dishonest nature of the company's dealings. I called him on that big incident (that I didn't tell the family about because it would just upset everyone), and I spoke my mind. More than that, I was honest, composed and kept my calm.

All the while, he is getting more and more riled up. I've never seen him so upset, and I don't think I've ever had anyone be so angry at me. I loved it. It was so unnatural to try to keep the peace in my relationship with the company- I really just needed to come out and tell the truth (which everyone probably knew already).

In the end, I left with peace of mind and a better understanding of him and the company. Also, I have a better idea of what might happen in the future. At first, we had been talking about the possibility of me re-signing for another year. He wasn't expecting me to, I guess, and made it pretty clear what his opinions on the matter were. It's up in the air whether he would ask me back, and even if he does, I have a feeling he'll pull every trick in the book to try to give me a horrible contract, bad pay, no summer vacation, etc. So, needless to say, this really affects my future plans. Everything rests on the school's decision now: keep some of their best teachers or loose us all.

More to come, of course. This all makes sense to those who know my history with the company, but to the rest of you, I apologize. I needed to vent. (Don't we all!)

Posted by Kathleen @ 5:40 PM

Read or Post a Comment

I don't know the situation at all, but I do know that satisfied feeling of finally being able to confront where needed. Good for you!! Good work with keeping your emotions in check, too. That's the hard part, I think. (for me, anyway!) To stay composed and be able to say what is on your mind in a coherent manner. Good for you!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 2:55 AM #
 

Way to go Kathy! A personal victory. And: Sounds like you put him in his place too. A good kick in the pants- I hear that rock anthem (Twisted Sister?) in my head "We're not gonna take it-NO! We ain't gonna take it, we're not gonna take it anymore!"
Thanks for sharing this,too.

Posted by Blogger Michelle @ 10:05 AM #
 
<< Home