Thursday, April 27, 2006
A Jonah Day
Well, in the words of Anne, "It's been such a Jonah day." It started and ended with me being caught in the rain without an umbrella and the rest was a mess. I woke up at 6:00, turned off my alarm and went back to bed. This is my week to keep the apartment clean, and the agreement includes a mid-week clean and mop. I've been overtired for a few days now, and I hate cleaning. And I was so tired when I did wake up that I decided to get a bagel and some coffee on the way to work (thus getting caught in the rain). My first class is grade 7 girls, and I blundered through the whole thing feeling flustered and unprepared. I had spent the first hour at work furiously grading all their notebooks, but when I went to hand them back, one girl kindly noted I had promised to grade and check the activities as well. After class, I recieved a phone call from my tutee's mother. I went out to lunch with her and spent a while discussing his progress and school and then she asked me to join her at a Parent/Teacher meeting that afternoon. It meant I had to ask my boss to leave during office hours and I felt guilty and worried that I wouldn't be back for my boys class. Anyway, the teachers were very nice, but I felt like the mother was depending on me to explain her son and all the teachers kept asking me questions, rather than giving me ideas. Yikes. I rushed back in a taxi cab, taught a class, then took a long MRT ride up to my company's office. I was supposed to have a 15 minute meeting with the president of the company (he asked to meet with each of us to get feedback to improve the company!) I had said I needed to leave at 6, so they asked me to come at 5:45. Well, 5:45 passed, and so did 6:00. Another teacher (rather long-winded) took my slot! As I got up to leave at 6:10, the president called me in, and I had to do the meeting. I left the building running and had a nail-bitting trip home to pick up the ticket, and in a taxi to the theatre. I went to see a wonderful Cloudgate modern dance performance, but I was so exhausted, I don't know if I enjoyed it fully. I rushed home afterwards, because I realized I forgot my keys at school and I would have to buzz the apartment and possibly wake up the roommates. When I did get home, what did I need to do? Clean and mop. And when that was finally done, and I was just taking off my robe to take a quick shower before bed, what did I see.Yep, a three inch long red cockroach on the back of the door about a foot from my face.
All I can say is that I give up on April 27, 2006!
Read or Post a Comment
<< Home