Sunday, April 23, 2006
Movie Fun

This is Warner Village, Taipei. It's a movie, shopping and entertainment complex near Taipei 101. Carole and I used to say this was our favorite place in Taipei. Let me tell you about the cinema. You can either buy your tickets from the box office or buy online or at automatic terminals. If you use one of the last two options, you are shown a map of the theatre and allowed to select the seats you want to sit in (you have to sit in that seat or people get really freaked out). Ordinarily, Taiwanese people just take the seats suggested. Sometimes you will find three full rows of 50 people and the entire rest of the seats empty. So I changed my seat to near the middle near the front, and noticed there were only about five other people that had bought tickets. Anyway, I went in to the movie, down to my row and past the other five people. It turned out that a Taiwanese woman, by herself, was sitting in the seat next to mine. 350 seats in the theatre, seven patrons, and she was sitting right next to me. This was NOT the seat she was assigned, she had specifically re-selected her seat to sit next to someone. Of course, I choose a different seat, and I realized that is one of the big differences between me and the Taiwanese. I go to a movie by myself, I want to sit away from everyone. They go by themselves, they want to sit by anyone at all.
Read or Post a Comment
<< Home