Tuesday, April 04, 2006

There Goes the Workout

Well, last night Amber and I had a ball at a "Masterclass" at the gym. Basically, that's code for Caucasian instructor. It only happens once in a while, and I usually go, regardless of what class it is, for the sheer novelty of actually being to understand what on earth the instructor is telling me to do. Most of the classes at the gym are 100% Chinese language, so hearing English feels downright weird. Interestingly enough, the class was called "Nike Rockstar Workout". The Taiwanese take their dance classes VERY seriously, so everyone else already seemed to know the whole routine. We may not have looked like rockstars, but I think we had the most fun. I was hoping for a good night's sleep, but found myself wide awake at midnight. I heard voices in the living room and found Amber and Carly had the same problem. We decided it must have been excitement about today's carnival and subsequent school vacation. So, I grabbed my mint chocolate chip ice cream and we sat around chatting for a few hours. Ice cream is a precious commodity here, and sometimes I forget how expensive it really is. But nothing substitutes for the real thing! I buy a little half carton thing of Dreyers for the equivalent of $10 CAD.
All the while we are sitting around the living room, Carly has her mosquito zapper ready to go. These things are wonderful for life in Taiwan. All the other girls have been dying of bites (for some reason, they aren't biting me) and decided to take matters into their own hands. These inexpensive rackets have an electric charge that fries bugs on contact. They make a calm static sound when they are charged and a big zap with blue sparks when a bugger dies. It's quite entertaining for the person doing the execution, but rather unnerving when someone starts waving it in front of your face.
Mosquitoes down: 6

Posted by Kathleen @ 9:20 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Does it hurt if you touch it?

Does it kill cockroaches?

Posted by Blogger Michelle @ 8:59 AM #
 
<< Home