Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Not Much To Say

Well, I realize I haven't posted in a while. My excuse? This weekend was an English Camp at our school. They brought in some of the best and brightest grade 6 students from around Taipei, all of whom want to get into Fuhsing. I did the "Travel Agency" and, of course, had fun. The kids had to choose from countries like Jamaica or South Africa, do internet research and then make a poster. When it comes right down to it, I think one of the reasons I'm here is because I believe I have a duty to introduce my students to amazing cultures.
On another note, today was one of those horrible days that makes me long to jump on the first flight out of this insanity. A day of bad classes ended with my grade one afterschool class. Me and 15 little munchkins (desperately in need of a good run and scream-a-thon). At one point, two boys discovered a dead (apparently) cockroach. As they run over to investigate, I use my best teacher voice to try to get them to sit down and listen to the story ("Froggy gets Dressed"... I highly recommend it). I turn around a second later and one of them has grabbed a chocolate box and thrown it at the cockroach, inadvertently tipping it over and setting it off running again. Another second later I turn around and one of the boys is in hysterics. After getting another kid to translate, I realized "Boy A" told "Boy B" that the cockroach had jumped on him and was crawling on his back. I probably should have had more compassion, but it was a long day, and, hey!, I hate cockroaches to (so don't touch them when they're dying!)
I realized today that I haven't blogged about one of the traditions in my classes. In Taiwan, all students greet their teacher in a very formal way. It has been translated into English and goes as follows:
1. I walk into the classroom and set down my books
2. The appointed class leader yells "Stand Up!" and the students all stand straight.
3. The class leader yells "Attention!" and they stand still and quiet (well, they're supposed too...)
4. The class leader yells "Bow!" and all the students bow to me (I bow back) and chant "Good morning, Miss Nickle!"
5. I say "Good morning"
6. Class leader says "Sit Down" and we can start class.
I've gotten so used to it that I forget my students are actually bowing to me (Ahhh, the power!)

Posted by Kathleen @ 10:12 PM