Saturday, June 10, 2006

10 Years

I know I seem too young to be celebrating a 10 year anniversary of anything, but I am! Today is the ten year anniversary of when I first started traveling (well, except for family vacations). Ten years ago today I was boarding a plane with a big cardboard box on my way to "bootcamp" before Trinidad. In ten years, I have set foot in 30 countries (some more legitimate than others). As I look back, I realize how much the places I've been have formed me into who I am today. I even put a Bravenet world map on the sidebar if you are interested in knowing the countries. To celebrate, I did one of my favorite things: I painted a mug (actually, I spent four hours painting a mug!) It was funny to gauge people's responses. Everyone who walked by had to stop and watch me paint. Moreover, the four staff keep leaning over my shoulder and watching! It was a good thing I was in a relaxed Saturday morning mood, cause overall I just wanted to be left alone (there could have been yelling and screaming.)
For dinner tonight, I went to my favorite restaurant, Casa Della Pasta. As I was savoring the tiramisu, I realized that nothing will ever match my first tiramisu, on a rainy night in a narrow alley cafe of Venice. And by chance, I was drinking Perrier (sparkling water) which I came to love during my time in Kazakhstan. Every country and every city is seared in my mind and affects my daily life. All I can say is that I am thankful.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember; and remember more than I have seen" -Benjamin Disraeli

Posted by Kathleen @ 11:41 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Congrats! Where's the picture of the finished project? You have to go back and pick it up?

Posted by Blogger Carole @ 2:47 AM #
 
<< Home