Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Barista

This is our new corner- both the family mart and Barista are new. In regular Taiwan fashion, both of these stores were built, furnished and open for business in days. Yep, days. I first saw the Barista sign on a Friday(about a week after the started tearing down and renovating the structure) and you could go in and get a coffee on a Monday. Interestingly, it works the other way too: stores close and disappear in a day (sometimes within weeks of opening). Anyway, this has been a beast of a week. If things weren't so complicated, I have a feeling I'd be out of here on June 30 for good! Basically, there are two super stressful people I have to deal with. One I really want to help but don't know how to and the other one is just the bane of my existence here in Taiwan (how do you deal with someone who has direct power over an area of your life and is always trying to debase you?)

Pronunciation: di-'bAs
Transitive verb1 : to lower in status, esteem, quality, or character. Implies a loss of position, worth, value, or dignity.

Posted by Kathleen @ 4:13 PM