Saturday, July 22, 2006
Coming up for Air
I've just finished teaching my second camp, and I'm finally ready for summer vacation. The closest thing I can compare these camps to is swimming as a kid. Remember standing at the shallow end, mentally prepping yourself to make it all the way underwater? You psych yourself up, take a huge gulp of air and somehow keep going till you reach the other wall. Your lungs are burning, you're exhausted, but you just keep swimming. You're oblivious to everything else until you finally come up for air and glance around to see what you missed. That is camp.To celebrate my first real day of vacation, I spent the morning debating Bali hotels. It's very odd to be looking at these beautiful places and knowing that could be me. I think at any other time, looking at these beaches and resorts would make me miserable but now it's like looking at the Sears Wishbook.

I'm feeling really good about my vacation decision. I have two more roommates moving in these next few days. I must say I am thrilled that these girls are coming... they both seem like fabulous people and I think the next semester will be a joy. But, I also need some solitude. I was expecting two whole months of an empty apartment to myself and now I have a summer with three new roommates! So, for those who are keeping track (mostly Mom, I guess), this is the Fuhsing roster:
Me
Julia from Maryland (current roommate)
Kathleen from USA/Canada (arriving from N. America this week)
Louise from Sydney, Australia (worked at camp with me, moving into the dorm)
Lynn from Florida/ NY (worked at the first camp with me, has her own apartment- yeah!)
Unknown PE teacher (male, assumedly. Has own apartment)
Yep, that's four in the dorm. There are few words to adequately express how happy that makes me. Having four in a flat is great, six is deadly.
Read or Post a Comment
You are so lucky. If you remember my first semester was 6 roommates, and the majority were crackpots. 4!? That is so not fair. I just hope you don't get a pong!
And, here's another problem. There are three good rooms and three bad rooms, in my estimation. Who has to take a bad one? And which one will they take?
And will I have to ask for Canadian kathleen when I call, or just Kathleen N?
Those great apartment mates are an answer to a your Mother's prayer.
Sent an email awhile ago, did you receive it? on friday at work, we are having a "belated canada day" and I need some canada ideas from my favorite canadian. could you email them to me? :) love and miss you!