Monday, July 03, 2006

Let Me Explain

I had a ticket to the opera "The Marriage of Figaro" yesterday and I had to miss it. Instead, at 2:30 in the afternoon, I was standing in a sweltering gym (sweaty kids, no ventilation or AC) attempting to teach the (pathetic) game of catch volleyball. It's a cruel world. Funny thing is, I couldn't even think of someone to give the ticket to: I can think of only one or two people that I've known throughout my life that would be excited to go to the opera by themselves.

Camp is actually going okay (seven more days to go after today). I have an intermediate class of 18 kids grade four to seven. This schedule is a lot easier than the one I did last year and thankfully we only have two gym games periods! That's my reason for not blogging, though. I get home around 7 ready to drop from heat exhaustion (and general tiredness from kids and being on my feet). This has left my life very unsettled, for example, I am currently "living" in three rooms. I sleep in my old room, I have all my stuff in the spare room (from when we had the flood) and I have reserved Amber/Carole's old room to move into as soon as I have the energy.

Last thing... everything is looking surprisingly good for next year. There is a new teacher in the apartment! I'm getting over my initial fury over my boss at the company moving her in on Saturday (I finished Fuhsing on Friday, started camps on Saturday afternoon, and he told me Friday that she would be coming Saturday morning- my only morning off before 10 days of camp). Honestly, I'm still really, really sad that I won't have the apartment to myself at least for a week or two, as an introvert that was the thing I was most excited about. On top of that, my boss at the company (I won't name him, though most of you know who I'm talking about) informed me that they may need to paint the apartment and I will have to move into the Wesley dorms. I don't know how long, but I felt like saying "Can I just have a little bit of summer vacation? PLEASE?" Even so, thankfully, the new teacher seems really nice. Julia is her name and she's from Maryland. She's just arrived in Taiwan and is being thrown into camps in a few days. Another new teacher is at the camps with me and she seems pretty interested in coming to Fushing as well. The best thing is that she already has her own apartment with a friend, so we would have no more than five teachers at the dorm. And, Julia said there was an Australian girl being taken for health checks and so on that they are really trying to place at Fuhsing (supposedly "a very nice girl") Is it possible? Could I have a drama-free life next semester?

Posted by Kathleen @ 6:56 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I thought this camp must be keeping you so busy cause you haven't posted since, but upon rereading, I see that camp was only for another week. I'm not good at posting regularly on my site, so I'm not nagging. Just wanted to say I miss you and check often to see what's going on in your life.

Posted by Blogger Jill @ 9:02 AM #
 
<< Home