Thursday, August 10, 2006

Bali Beautiful

What a crazy, beautiful island! My expectations have been blown away and I am in awe of this place. I definitly had the wrong idea of how developed things would be. In fact, most of the island is still unpaved, crowded roads and family run shops. I was expecting the main beaches to be overdeveloped like Miami beach or something, I guess. As it is, I feel like I've stumbled upon undiscovered beauty (even if there are a dozen or so other tourists discovering it with me). The people are colorful and friendly and I'm already feeling at home. My first hotel is fabulous, incredible. Here are some pictures from the Ellie's website. It's run by an expat and has a chic-glam-comfy kind of feel. Two people checked out this morning, though, and I have a sneaky suspicion I may be the only person left! No worries: it means I have the pool, lounge chairs and roof-top terrace all to myself. I felt so indulgent having a lazy breakfast this morning (crepes with yoghurt, honey and strawberries) and reading for hours under an umbrella. I do realize the majority of my readers are not on vacation, and I would never want to rub it in your face, but it is a great feeling to have nothing to do and nothing on your mind. I spent my afternoon getting a full Mayasian style massage and exfoilation (also, interestingly enough, with yoghurt) and pedicure, with Greek food for lunch. I think I'll try to find the beach now and watch the sunset. Internet seems like a big pain here, so don't expect frequent updates. Also, I'm not sure about the postoffice so if you want a postcard, speak now!

Posted by Kathleen @ 4:29 PM