Monday, September 18, 2006

The Antithesis of Calm

What a weekend to follow a horrible week. I know that no one likes to read a mopey blog entry, so I'll try to keep it light. Just to update you all, the whole "boss" situation is still a huge mess. If this were any other job, I'd quit today based on the principle of the thing. Thankfully, the other foreign teachers all seem ready to stay, and the issue I'm dealing with him about will be okay either way (one way is me working and saving money the other way is me blowing my savings on a five week, last-minute Asian expedition).

Anyway, Friday night after a stressful day I had my first installment of Wagner's Ring Cycle, Das Rheingold. I think I mentioned that Marvin's mother got the tickets for me as a "thank you" for him getting into a good school. I had reservations about the whole thing. You see, I have twice tried to sit through a single part of the Cycle and had to leave about half way through (literally in pain from trying to keep my eyes open). And that was the Toronto production- full of costumes and scenery and English subtitles. To prove my perseverance, I have decided to attend all parts of the Taipei production, all the way through.

Needless to say, it's tough. The first night (Friday) was over three hours with no intermission. The second night (Saturday) was a total of 5 1/2 hours with two intermissions. And, you guessed it, no English subtitles. No costumes (just black with colored sashes) and a plain white stage. If we were lucky, they brought out a chair for added excitement. My roommates think I'm nuts to be going back for two more 5 1/2 hour nights on this Friday and Sunday.

To make the whole thing worse, Taipei was in chaos this weekend. Well, not chaos, I guess: just crowds. If you have been following the news, ( Red Protest ) you know that Taiwanese people are trying to get the President to resign. I really have very little to say on the matter except that I'd give the reds a point for having younger, more intelligent looking people at the protest. Friday when I tried to get to the theatre, there were reds everywhere protesting. I had to walk half the way home in heels because I couldn't get a taxi or bus. Then Saturday, the greens decided to have a go and I had to push past hundreds of strolling protesters in the rain to try to get to the opera on time.

Anyway, I feel like my life right now is the antithesis of Carole's.

Small town, megacity;
cool, hot;
peaceful, stressful;
in school, teaching school;
competent and successful, constantly challenged and making mistakes;
simple and pleasant, crazy and exciting.

Yes, there is never a dull moment around here- I suppose that is a big positive. I'm actually thankful Carole and I are doing such different things. Whenever I have those "what if..." days, I know exactly what my life would be like right now, had I made different choices. Thankfully, I'm glad I'm here.

Posted by Kathleen @ 11:14 AM

Read or Post a Comment

5 1/2 hours?!? That's perseverance! You ended your post by stating that you were glad you are where you are. In my books, that's perseverance too, and much to be admired!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 5:39 AM #
 
<< Home