Tuesday, October 17, 2006

London Bridge and Humpty Dumpty all Rolled into One

It has been a rough few weeks! Many thanks to those people who suggested I just leave this madness and come home (I know you are thinking about what's best for me.) Yet I am staying, and will be trying my hardest to make it till June 30.

I think I mentioned I was feeling overwelmed at work. That all just got worse, and ended up with a 40 minute breakdown in a bathroom stall (that's in addition to the breakdown that occured two days before). And if you know me, you know I'm not a "breakdown-in-the-bathroom" kind of girl. Anyway, we were remarking that at least it couldn't get any worse when...

Monday morning our co-worker Lynn didn't show up. She had called in sick the previous Friday so for a couple hours we were worried for her well-being. But if she was sick, she would have called. Then it started to sink in that we had just received our first paycheck of the semester on Friday. It was perfect timing for what is commonly known as "a runner." For reasons we don't fully understand (but goodness knows I don't blame her at all) she has left Taiwan.

This leaves the remaining four foreign teachers in a worse pickle than before. We'll have to deal with substitutes, and eventually train a new teacher (and perhaps "welcome" a new roommate). I don't think I've ever felt so tired in my life.


On a happier note, my roommates are fabulous!!! The gym is going great, I have a beautiful bedroom, and we finally have resturants where we are the regulars (and know the waiters names!)

Posted by Kathleen @ 5:30 PM