Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Topsy-Turvy Day

Do you ever have days when everything seems to be just a little bit strange? Yesterday, life was a bit skewed. To start, the computer network at school had "DNS cache poisoning" (I know that's what it was, because I was the one to report the problem and print out help pages in Chinese from Microsoft.com!) The result was that almost every website you tried to view came up with a junk "navil" page. The first page I tried was my blog, so I panicked (what if it was all gone?) Then I met with a co-teacher at lunch to help her write down some lyrics from the songs the grade one students will sing from the Christmas play. I listened, and listened, and still just couldn't get some of the lyrics. Finally I realized the song was Hawaiian, and some of the words weren't English! Not to be deterred, my co-teacher has decided just to write down the sounds and make the children sing nonsense. After school, I usually tutor Marvin, but while on the bus I tried to remember what his mom had told me the last week. I remembered asking her whether I should come on Monday, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember what she said. Anyway, of course, it was cancelled. That is one really good reason not to go through life over-tired... you don't remember anything! And to cap off a weird day, all of the lights were out at Renai traffic circle. Only Carole would realize what a big deal that is. Let's just say I crossed 14 lanes of traffic by the skin of my teeth. Most of the Taiwanese people were just waiting on the sidewalk (hoping the lights would magically start working again?), but I wanted to get home. All of my pedestrian skills, honed in downtown Chicago, were put to good use.

Posted by Kathleen @ 11:02 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Sounds like you were tough enough to take it all. If just barely. Way to go walking across the street. How funny that others were not willing to take matters into their own hands, or feet (?) like you were.

Posted by Blogger Michelle @ 10:29 PM #
 
<< Home