Saturday, December 02, 2006
The Countdown Has Begun
I've finally had a free moment to start my Christmas preparation. I was hanging Mom's crochet snowflakes in my window this morning and putting up the little Christmas tree that Carole left. I have an advent calendar at home and at work, and I have a pile of at least 40 blank Christmas cards on my desk. I didn't actually buy all those cards; they were just left over from many past roommates. Though I can't actually think of 40 people to send them to... Anyway, Christmas at school is whipping into high speed as well. Some parent donated 100 (yes, 100) full size artificial trees that are at every corner and in every hallway. Someone had the brilliant idea to have the classes compete by decorating 5 or so trees per class. They'll be judging the best right before Christmas and I'm expecting they will be quite spectacular. I have a lot of responsibilities for this year. Most of them I wasn't asked to do, I was told to do. For grade one and two, I am currently teaching the children English songs and dances. For example, I spent 40 minutes on Friday singing "Joyful, Joyful, we adore thee" with 43 grade one students. It's hard enough to get them to say "Giver of Immortal Gladness" let alone sing it at high speed (the Sister Act version). For grade five, I'll be playing Auntie Em in the production of the Wizard of Oz. For grade seven and eight, the principal has requested the advanced classes be part of the show. She specifically said it shouldn't be about Christmas because we are supposed to be doing an advertisement for the school and showing how great the English teaching is. (Don't even get me started on that philosophy). In three weeks, I will be creating a grade seven production involving interviewers and interviewees talking about the big events that have happened at Fushing over the semester. For grade eight, the girls and boys are separate and they will each be doing an interactive, multimedia book report. Including PowerPoint, pictures, music, acting and reporting all in one. And all in three 45 minute class periods. None of it was my idea. I personally think there's a big likelihood we'll fail. But, seeing as I have no choice, I have decided to do my best and count down the days till it is all over.
Read or Post a Comment
Sounds like you need a few hugs.
We're proud of you. Love Mom & Dad
Kathleen, it sounds like they've asked the impossible. Keep in mind that as long as you do your best it will NOT be a failure. You are only human after all.
Keep your stick on the ice...