Wednesday, February 21, 2007

LA

Hi family and friends. I'm in LA. I arrived so late last night I couldn't phone or email anyone, but hopefully you'll be checking this. Yesterday was one of those travel nightmares that make people want to give up on travel all together. I've flown hundreds of flights and never really had one problem besides short delays, but yesterday it was one thing after another after another! First, my morning flight out of Halifax was cancelled due to plane malfunction. Then the afternoon flight that they had rebooked me on was cancelled due to plane malfunction. Carole and I found out when we got to Halifax airport, and I started to worry. The guy redirected me on standby through Montreal, and I was so relieved when my name was called for standby! In Montreal I had four hours to look around, and then the flight was supposed to get me there two hours before my LA-Taipei flight departed (cutting it close, but I could make it). Of course, the flight was delayed two hours (no apparent reason, something about the plane though). When we finally boarded, we spent another half hour waiting on the runway for them to fix some hydraulic problem. The turbulence was so bad that I was nauseous (first time ever during a flight), thank goodness I had gravol! I decided that if I didn't have my laptop and other precious items in Taipei, I probably would have just quit now and gone home! Thankfully, Air Canada put me up in a hotel (the Hilton- la de da) and Singapore Airlines is trying to re-book me on tonight's flight. Only problem is that these are the last few days of Chinese New Year, and flights are booked solid so everyone can get home for work and school. I'm not quite sure what I'll do if I don't get on the flight tonight- maybe sleep in the airport (I've done it before). Anyway, I hope a roommate in Taiwan is reading this so you guys don't worry when I don't show up! But after all of that, I feel like it was a perfectly miserable end to an absolutely fabulous visit home. My time in Thornhill, Wolfville and Mapleton was perfect, and thank you to all my family for the love and fun!

Posted by Kathleen @ 1:27 AM