Wednesday, March 14, 2007
A Good Day
Teaching is going pretty well. I'm using a curriculum Carole gave me (from a teacher in Nova Scotia) which is quite ambitious for an ESL classroom. Right now I'm teaching the short story "All Summer in a Day" and trying to explain similes and metaphors. In a few weeks I'm starting the students on independent novel projects. I made a powerpoint of some novels they have in the school library as suggestions, and I was so happy when a girl came up to me a few days later and said her parents had taken her to the big English bookstore at 101 and bought her two of the books I recommended (Number the Stars and Anne of Green Gables)! In my grade six classes, the kids write penpal letters to a school in Indiana. As I was monitoring their writing, one girl asked me how old I am. Although I don't usually volunteer that information, I couldn't see how it would hurt, so I told her. She was shocked. When I was checking her letter later I saw she had written, "How old is your teacher? My teacher is 25 years old. She is the youngest teacher in the whole school." Of course I'm not the youngest teacher, and I guess I should be more mysterious in the future!
Read or Post a Comment
<< Home