Saturday, April 28, 2007
Stress
Well, I haven't posted in a while because I've been so stressed out. I learned my lesson last semester: too many "true-to-life" posts and your family and friends worry! I'm doing fine, I'll survive, and it will all be over in a few months no matter what. There will be a big issue for the summer: I have to stay in the country to keep my taxes at 10% but the school will be kicking us out of our apartment on the last day of school. Yes, it is a bit mean and, frankly, mercenary. The principal wants to turn the dorm into a guest house for VIP visitors. That means we'll have to try to find a hostel in Taipei we can afford for a month. I've also been trying to get my grad school stuff figured out. Like choosing which schools I want to apply to! Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver? Big fish in a little pond or vice
versa? I've even been thinking about a program at Mount Saint Vincent/Saint Mary's in Halifax, but it's very small. Pros: family, possessions (currently in
Grammie's garage), individual attention Cons: small library, lack of prestige/faculty, not challenging enough. Anyway, comments and advice are always appreciated!
Read or Post a Comment
Instead of staying in a hostel for the month, why not travel the country a bit more. There are so many beautiful things outside of Taipei. I'm sure there's a friendly expat who might store your stuff while you did some more explorations.
Individual attention at a small school is important, and underrated. But you had that in your undergrad--and you're probably motivated enough to make it in a large school, no problem. How big could the TESL programs be anyway? You're not a psychology student!
As for apartments ... that always sucks. I hope the other girls are researching that too, though, right?