Monday, May 21, 2007
Made It Through
We finished the English camp! It's brutal being at work on a Monday morning without a weekend, but at least now we can count down the days. My co-teacher and I taught "
Fuhsing Movie Theatre" class, showed a bit of a movie, had them write & act out stories and, of course, ate popcorn. There were a total of 480 kids in the camp, and we had five 80 minute classes with 48 kids each. Whew! Thankfully they were on their best behavior because they are all grade six students who want to enter
Fuhsing for grade seven. And there are only something like 30 spots available! As a sign of how life at
Fuhsing is spiraling out of control, the last two years this camp has only allowed about 300 students, and this year the authorities that be decided to bump it to 500 and increase class sizes! I could have never imagined such a change in the teachers from last year to now, but everyone is burning out. When I talk to the Taiwanese teachers, it makes me realize how lucky I am to have the
option to leave because I realize it's too stressful, not healthy, etc. Because of their job security, providing for their families and even the discount in tuition for their own children, they need to stay and wait it out. So even though the thought of leaving in two months distresses me, I am glad to get off the hamster wheel... and my Australian visa was approved!!!
Read or Post a Comment
You'll quite appreciate the daily monotony of life once you're off the hamster wheel. Although everything here in Canada seems a bit dull in comparsion. The most excitement I had today was seeing the tacos in the cafeteria line.