Saturday, June 02, 2007

Saturday

Well, I'm currently experiencing my first fever in as long as I can remember. Maybe ever? I felt weird all day Friday at school, and I think this is just my body's way of making me slow down. Anyway, last night I was shivering under my duvet in spite of the 35 degree heat. Thankfully, I remembered that Advil helps fever, and that's been working well. I'm not going to the doctor, I've read webmd and know the symptoms if it's something more severe. Everyone who goes to the doctor here comes home with seven different kinds of medication and feel worse in the end. So I'm hydrating, resting and watching Arrested Development.

Last night I went to a modern dance performance at the newly renamed "National Taiwan Democracy Hall" (previously Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, and in the middle of a political battle between the city government and the executive branch). I buy tickets for these things with no idea of what they will be like. 75% of the time, I LOVE the performance, the other 25% I'm just glad the tickets are cheap ($10-$20 CAD). This was one of those head-scratchers that leave me thinking "What?" The room was covered in newspaper and the first part of the show was four women walking into the room, sitting on a stool, looking at the audience and then walking out again. All this time, a figure fully covered in newspaper was slowly circling the entire room. Later on, the women brought out glasses of water and spent a good ten minutes passing the glasses to each other. There were some nice moments, but I definitely prefer modern dance that includes more, well, dance.

On Friday in grade one, our story was about Mr. Night. In my first class, I tried to ask them if they had any dreams, but I didn't really get any answers. In the next class, bad dreams came up, and all of a sudden everybody had a dream to tell me. One of my most serious students (whose face is always so sincere and concerned) told me in a sad voice that his worst nightmare was that a bad man comes and kills his mom and then takes him away! I was almost in tears by the end of his story because he was so upset! But I had to smile when a little girl in the back told me that her worst nightmare was about mice eating her schoolbooks.

Posted by Kathleen @ 9:12 PM