Friday, August 03, 2007

I'm Alive

It's been an exhausting day in Hanoi. Partly because I walked through the entire city in the heat, and partly because traffic here is petrifying. Carole warned me, and countless times today I heard her voice in my head ("just keep walking"). Traffic lights and pedestrian signals are rare here, and rarely followed if they exist. Instead, it was me versus four lanes of speeding traffic: cars, bikes, motorcycles and cyclos (see picture below). There is no break in traffic, you just put one foot out and start walking!!! Seriously, you just have to trust that all of those vehicles are going to see you and swerve in time. If you run, stop or slow down, they'll hit you: so just keep walking! Everytime I finished crossing a street I realized I had been holding my breath and clenching my teeth. (PS I do have health insurance).I also did some shopping today (embroidered silk purses; how do I choose?) and went to see the Temple of Literature. I have some great pictures, but I'll have to figure out the Wifi in the hotel. The hostel I spent hours picking and reserved months ago ended up moving me to a different hotel. I'm a bit miffed, but since I'm paying $10 a night for a room with A/C, satilite TV and a big breakfast, I don't think I get to be picky.

Posted by Kathleen @ 8:03 PM