Sunday, August 12, 2007
Last Day in Cambodia
Obviously, Angkor Wat is the first thing you think of when you hear "Angkor Wat in Cambodia", but of course it's actually many temples spread out over miles. Most were built over 1,000 years ago, and it boggles the mind how they transported and build a 65m tower and carved it! It also boggles the mind that I'm allowed to climb and run all over it. The picture above is of a "staircase" in Angkor Wat: supposedly it's that steep to remind people how difficult it is to get to heaven. Easier if you fall and break your neck, I guess. This one had cement bricks and a railing added, but it was still harrowing (and other stairs did not).
My favorite temple, though, was Ta Phrom. I went at 6am, and I was literally the only person there. Someone at the hotel suggested I go early because you still hear all the noises of the animals in the jungle and you feel like you're discovering a lost ruin. They left it run down and left the trees standing to give it that "lost temple" feel.
Read or Post a Comment
<< Home