Sunday, August 05, 2007
Pictures

I've found an airconditioned cafe, so I can put my pictures online in comfort! Here are some of Halong Bay. We cruised around the 2000 limestone islands in a "deluxe" junk boat and stopped to visit caverns and swim at the beach.



Last night I went to see a traditional performance of water puppets in Hanoi. It was a really unique experience set to Vietnamese music and song. The puppets are carved from water resistent wood and manipulated by puppeteers standing waist deep in water behind the green curtain.


I get back to my hotel every night with very tired and dirty feet from walking through the busy streets. One woman shoved her fruit baskets and hat onto me for a mandatory photo op (followed by my guilt-induced purchase of pineapple).


This is the aptly named "One Pillar Pagoda"

I spent an afternoon reading in the shade at the Botanical Gardens and had so much fun watching this couple get their wedding pictures taken.

I spent this morning at the Museum of Ethnology learning about the hilltribes in Vietnam. Half of the museum is "open air" so you can walk around different types of homes and even go inside! Climbing up the stairs was quite the challenge.

On the way back from the museum I took my first ever (and quite possibly last ever) motorcycle ride. I've always viewed motorcycles (especially at fast speeds without a helmet) as an unnecessary danger. Think of the statistics! But, I was low on cash and it was a bunch cheaper than a taxi. When in Rome, eh? These men are waiting on every corner in the city, it's their job, so they're professionals, right? It was a great feeling, but I'm going to stick with my statistics in the future.
Read or Post a Comment
<< Home